The Service Strategy course builds on the general principles covered as part of the ITIL Foundation course. It is intended for those who work in Service Strategy environment and who require a deeper understanding of the underlying concepts, the processes involved and the management activities – and how they may all be used to enhance overall service quality and service provision during the Service Strategy phase of the ITIL Service Lifecycle as an integral part of the overall business-focused Service Management framework.
This is an intensive three-day course, which includes the official accreditor’s certification exam.
What You Will Learn
The main focus of this course is on the managerial and control aspects of the operational environment. This course has a number of study units with practical application to reinforce the knowledge gained. These include:
The Service Lifecycle and Service Management as a practice:
Understand the Service Lifecycle and the objectives and business value for each phase in the lifecycle; understand and articulate “service” and be able to explain the concept of Service Management as a practice.
Service Strategy Principles:
Understand the common principles and guidelines that influence the performance of SS processes and functions including the ability to decide on a service strategy; how to utilize the four Ps of service strategy; how to define services, create value and leverage the combined use of utility and warranty; how to use service economics and sourcing strategies when meeting business outcomes.
Service Strategy Governance and Organization:
Leveraging governance frameworks to set strategy and the SS roles.
Service Strategy Processes:
Understand the purpose; objectives; scope; value to business; policies, principles and basic concepts; process activities, methods and techniques; triggers, inputs, outputs and interfaces; critical success factors and key performance indicators and challenges and risks of the SS processes and their associated functions, including:
Note: In-depth discussions around the daily operational activities of each process/function are part of the Service Offerings and Agreements (SOA) course.
- Strategy Management for IT Services; Service Portfolio Management; IT Financial Management; Demand Management; Business Relationship Management
Organizing Service Strategy
Including, exploring the use of a RACI chart in defining not only the SS processes but overall organizational functionality and the roles necessary to manage the SS processes.
Service Strategy Technology
Understand service automation and interfaces.
- The ITIL Foundation Certificate (or earlier ITIL v2 Foundation Certificate plus Foundation Bridge).
- Two to four years of professional experience within Service Management as well as defined experience in at least one of the SS or SD processes is highly desirable.
Who Should Attend
- This course is one of the Intermediate Level certification courses and is recommended for individuals who require a deeper understanding of the SS element of the ITIL Service Lifecycle and how it may be implemented to enhance the quality of ITSM within an organization, for example:
- IT professionals working in roles associated with strategic planning, execution and control within a service-based business model.
- Individuals seeking the ITIL Expert™ level certification in ITSM for which these are prerequisite modules.
- Individuals seeking progress towards the ITIL Master™ standing in ITSM for which the ITIL Expert™ certification is a prerequisite.
The SS course and exam are very challenging and it is therefore recommended that students complete at least 21 hours of personal study by reviewing the Service Strategy publication prior to the course start and allow for a minimum of 90 minutes of study per evening during the course.
Note: This ITIL publication is NOT included with the course but can be purchased from firstname.lastname@example.org.
This course forms part of the ITIL Intermediate qualification program.
Successfully passing the 90 minute in-class exam, consisting of 8 complex, multi-part, multiple-choice, scenario-based, gradient-scored questions leads to the ITIL v3 Intermediate Service Lifecycle Certificate: Service Strategy. The pass mark is 70% (28/40).
Successful completion of this course and exam provides 3 points of the necessary 15 ‘electives’ to achieve the ITIL Expert™ certification (2 points for Foundation and 5 points for Managing Across the Life Cycle are mandatory).
Each student will receive a full color course binder containing lecture notes, in-course exercises and answers, homework, practice questions and a practice exam. The ITIL Continual Service Improvement Key Element Guide will also be provided on courses commencing after its publication date. All materials are distributed on the first day.
All DIYmonde instructors are fully qualified and accredited by the appropriate examination board.
ITIL® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited
CloseReach Ltd. is an affiliate partner of DIYmonde Solutions Inc.