*** Early bird pricing in effect until April 27th, 2021. Price increases to $250.00 on April 28th, 2021.
This half day virtual training session covers the basics of activity-based planning (ABP) and how it can be used to enhance resource deployment, cost management, and operational budgeting in the public sector. Through use of a case study, participants will learn how to apply ABP principles to gain better insights into resource consumption and utilization. Operational models created using ABP concepts show how resource costs can be traced through business processes to develop detailed service delivery information for the determination of service fees and budgets. These models can also be used for “what-if” analysis to better forecast the cost and impact of changes in business processes or client demands. The workshop pre-work will a use pre-built Excel model to help with understanding of the concepts. The on-line aspect of the workshop will feature a QualiWare application currently in use in a number of Canadian public sector organizations. Collaborative Business Planning (CBP) provides users across the organization with a highly-visual and interactive ABP solution to develop and understand the operational and cost flows of any service delivery process. CBP provides a shared environment for operational, financial and strategic managers and planners to develop a common understanding of the key factors influencing costs and operational budgets.
Key Learning Objectives: By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
· Develop operational models to help manage budgets, develop realistic service fees, and implement meaningful cost recovery strategies
· Evaluate the impact of resource constraints on service delivery costs and budgets
· Appreciate the value of collaborative scenario-playing to evaluate efficiency improvements that align with LEAN or other business process improvement initiatives
· Realize the benefits of a structured methodology to implement better costing and budgeting across your organization
· Understand the value of using a custom-built software application to replace Excel for collaborative business needs
Who should attend:
· financial and resource management professionals responsible for program/service costing or budgeting
· operational managers, planners and analysts challenged with optimizing business processes impacting service delivery
· strategic managers, planners and analysts responsible for charting future organizational direction and performance
· a short case study and Excel model will be provided to participants in advance of the workshop
Note: For CPA registrants, this workshop qualifies for 4 hours of verifiable Continuing Professional Development.
Mike Haley,M.Sc., is President of Landmark Decisions Inc., a Canadian niche consulting firm providing worldwide “performance alignment” facilitation, training, and implementation services. Mike has over 25 years’ experience in developing and delivering professional training on strategic and operational planning and cost modeling techniques which help public-sector organizations improve their business decision-making capacity. Public sector clients have included Canadian Coast Guard, Health Canada, Transport Canada, Treasury Board Secretariat, Veterans Affairs, University of Sydney (AUS), US Navy, and various departments in the New Zealand government. Mike has also worked with private-sector clients such as Air Canada, Bell Aliant, Kroger Foods, Maersk-Sealand, Pfizer, and Telekom Malaysia.
A frequent speaker/lecturer on topics of operational costing and performance reporting, Mike also serves on the Board of the Nova Scotia Chapter of the Financial Management Institute of Canada (FMI.ca), a Canadian not-for-profit volunteer association focused on knowledge sharing in all aspects of public sector financial management.
View Terms and Conditions: